Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Butterflies for the Holocaust: Project I have to Share

I promise I'll be back with a real post soon but this project I have to share!




PLEASE click on the picture and check out the artist project being hosted by http://twodressesstudio.blogspot.com

"The Butterfly Project" hosted by The Holocaust Museum Houston in Texas, USA. Their mission as follows:
The Holocaust Museum Houston is dedicated to educating people about the Holocaust, remembering the 6 million Jews and other innocent victims and honoring the survivors' legacy. Using the lessons of the Holocaust and other genocides, we teach the dangers of hatred, prejudice and apathy.

The Butterfly Project mandate is to remember the 1,500,000 innocent children who perished as a result of the Holocaust by collecting 1.5 million handmade butterflies.

In Spring 2013, these butterflies will then become a break-taking exhibition to serve as a memory of this event.

The project is based on this poem -
I Never Saw Another Butterfly
The last, the very last,

So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone....


Such, such a yellow
Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure
because it wished
to kiss the world good-bye.

 For seven weeks I’ve lived in here
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.

Only I never saw another butterfly.
That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.

Written  by Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942

Born in Prague on Jan. 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.
Died in Aushchwitz on Sept. 29, 1944.

7 comments:

  1. I'd heard about the exhibit awhile ago, but had thought it completed. I'm spreading the news and making butterflies. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, thanks for checking in on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Me again!! Lol. This looks like a neat project. I will definitely check it out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I gave your blog the Butterfly Award, you can find it here.

    http://confessionsofamodernwitch.blogspot.com/2011/09/butterfly-award.html

    PS I participated in the Butterfly Project too... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mina and Sandi, thanks so much for checking in!

    Sosanna, Thank you! That's my first award!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing this link. I'm going to sign up - what a brilliant project. I've never been to Texas but I've twice been to Anne Frank's house in Amsterdam. We should never, ever forget.

    ReplyDelete